Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The Short Story "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut Review

Literature's critics assert that the theme of the short story "Harrison Bergeron" written by Kurt Vonnegut is similar to Vonnegut's 1959 novel "The Sirens of Titan" which is one of my favorite novels in a genre of sci-fiction. This was an additional reason why I read this story with great interest.

The story represents a genre of anti-utopia and contains:
sci-fi elements,
presentation a horrifying situation through humor
interesting literature's style when the narrator ironically detached the situation.

The plot is how people in 2081 became completely equal. People which level of intelligence more than average, have to wear a special equipment for producing a noise or pain. The fourteen-year-old son of two spouses, Harrison was jailed in the prison for having high abilities and intelligence. The couple was trying to think indifferently about their son even when they saw him on TV escaped from jail.

I liked less the last part of the story when Harrison entered the television studio and declared “I am the Emperor! . . . Do you hear? I am the Emperor! Everybody must do what I say at once!". I thought that it looks simpler than I expected. But probably it is a feature of genre satire and readers need just to accept it.

The story is short but ideas which are carried up there are deep and important.

This is a link to the humorous video about topic "equality":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM




No comments:

Post a Comment