Saturday, February 8, 2014

English: Writing with teacher Audrey Ross

English: Writing
 with teacher Audrey Ross

We practice our spelling, grammar, and vocabulary by writing letters, emails, and notes. We spend the rest of our time correcting those writings together. Many of the situations we practice are very practical and used in everyday life, so let's to identify our own personal mistakes.


26/01/2014
Task: Write a letter to a manufacturing company about your amazing new invention


Dear sir,
I’m WRITing to you with AN offer which could be useful for your company. It is a new method for providing new products. As I KNOW, your company HAS spent A LOT OF money for advertisING in THE newspapers and magazines. I could suggest for you to present the information about manufacturer’s products through THE modern tool for online advertising, through google hangoutS.
Some details of my plan are here:
Your Sales department would organize some online events using THE very interesting option of Google hangoutS “HangoutS on Air”. The staff could answer the possible questions of THE audience during THE session.
The main problem which we need to solve is:
How to attract the viewers for those online meetings.
And I have an idea about it too. Here it is:
You know that many people around the world are interestED in studying English. You can offer the international audiENCE to combine these online preSentations with English classes.
thank you for your attention,


Anatoly


02/02/2014
Task:  Write an email to a new coworker welcoming them to the company and informing them of the rules and what they can expect working there


Hello, Tony.
Do you remember me? I studied with you 3 years ago.
I heard that you are going to teach On Verbling. I’m a student there. That’s good choice. Let me explain TO you what these classes are.
First of all about THE program's platform: This school uses Google+hangouts. It is a very powerful tool for online communication and for organizing online classes. It is possible for 9 students to participate in the class plus one teacher, of course. It is a video chat so be sure that youR videocamera works.
SECONDLY you need to BE aware that for teaching A group of students you need to use a different strategy than we used in private (one to one) classes. The most important THING for A teacher there is to involve all THE students in the class in THE process of education.
At last, think about THE topic which you are going to discuss. And try to include in the conversation some discussions about grammar rules.
I hope to meet you there,


Anatoly


08/02/2014
Task: Write an exciting introduction to a novel to grab the readers interest

You like to BREATHE fresh air.
You like THE freedom of moving.
You are an active person.
You care about THE environment
And you prefer not TO spend much money for gasoline.

This is A product for you:
Electric bicycle.

IF YOU HAVE IT you can:
be AT the meeting AT THE right time (riding with A speed OF 20 km PER hour)
GO UP AN INCLINE without being tired

No traffic jam problems.

And if you prefer to do some exercises, just turn off THE motor, twist THE pedals and THE battery will be charged.






09/02/2014


Task: Write a letter to your bank about some mysterious charges on your bank account




Anatoly



Before correction:

Dear Sir.

I’m writing you because I noticed some strange operations in my personal account in your bank.

First of all I phoned to the secretary of your office and your secretary wasn’t able to explain me what are this charges about. She recommended me to apply to the head of Operations Department, to Mr.Brown.

So did I. He explained me that the office expanded services for customers, which include the access to all bank accounts through Internet and what are these fees about.

Writing this letter I’m implying the protest against any additional charges without writing agreement between the bank and clients. I claim to return my money. In another case I would force to apply to the court.

Anatoly



After correction:


Dear Sir.


I’m writing you because I noticed some strange operations in my personal account in your bank.


First of all I CALLed the secretary of your office and your secretary wasn’t able to explain TO me what THESE charges are about. She recommended I ASK the head of THE Operations Department, Mr.Brown.


So I DID IT. He explained TO me that the office expanded services for the customers, which include the access to all bank accounts through THE Internet and what these fees ARE about.


Writing this letter I’m PROTESTING any additional charges without A WRITTEN agreement between the bank and the clients. I DEMAND YOU return my money. IF YOU DO NOT COMPLY, I wILL BE forceD to GO to the court.






Rule:
An indirect object comes between the action verb and the direct object and answers the question “To whom?” or “For whom?” It is always a noun or pronoun and never appears by itself without a direct object.
(Note: The words “to” and “for” are only implied in the sentence; if they actually appear in the sentence, then you have a prepositional phrase, not an indirect object.) For example:
Joe gave me an apple. The indirect object “me” answers “Joe gave an apple to whom?” “Me” comes between the action verb “gave” and the direct object “apple.” (There is no indirect object in these sentences: “Joe gave to me an apple,” or “Joe gave an apple to me.”)
The boy in the red coat bought his brother a new kite. The indirect object “brother” answers “The boy bought a new kite for whom?” “Brother” comes between the action verb “bought” and the direct object “kite.”

Task: Write an email to the human resources department of your company about some complaints you have about your boss.


Before correction:
Dear Mrs. Smith, Good day.
Sorry for disturbing you. I know about the strict rules and behavior’s regulations in our company. We all are trying to follow them. But I guess we have a problem in that area. Our boss, Mr.Roger was was extremely incorrect in Yesterday’s speech. He said that our company owes its success to him, that he make more then half successful researchers here.


We were outraged of his evaluation because only working in the team makes the right path to our success.


anatoly@goodcompany.com


After correction:
Write an email to the human resources department of your company about some complaints you have about your boss.


Dear Mrs. Smith,
Good day. Sorry for disturbing you. I know about the strict rules and regulations OF our company. We all are trying to follow them, but I guess we have a problem in that area. Our boss, Mr.Roger was extremely incorrect in Yesterday’s speech. He said that our company owes its success to him, that he makeS more thAn half OF THE successful INVENTIONS here.


We were outraged BY his evaluation because only BY working in A team WILL WE BE SUCCESSFUL.


anatoly@goodcompany.com


16/02/2014


Task: You are a movie critic. Write a review for a new movie you recently saw.


Across the Universe is a movie which could meet the AUDIENCE IN DIFFERENT WAYS. You won’t find any mystery here. The plot is simple and predictable. The audience IS moving along with Beatles songs. But it doesn’t matter for people who like these songs. The producer used more than thirty of the BAND’S songs in the movie.


The important part of the movie IS the songs. You can enjoy watching and listening TO lots of old BEATLES’ songs in modern perfect performance. I believe that after watching this movie many people who didn’t know much about the greatest band of last century would decide to listen TO it. It is definitely A MUST-WATCH.



Task: Write a letter welcoming your new neighbor into the neighborhood and giving them tips about the important local places.


Hi Peter,
I heard that you are going to move to Moscow. We lived before in a little town and I know that it is a big CHANGE in life.


First of all YOU MUST THINK about the acceptable cost of LIVING here. Moscow is A very expensive city. If you DOn’t find THE right places TO SHOP your money wILL disappear fast.


Secondly, when we are thinking about living in a huge megalopolis we could decide that there are no places for relaxing there. It is not true. Look AT the map of Moscow, you can find lots of places here where you can walk with your family. I advise you to walk on the shores of Moscow river. We call it “the LONGEST and MOST beautiful Moscow street”.


And about transportATION. Leave your car home, the best way to reach your office here is THE Metro. It is much more convenient than riding IN A car.


And last advice. Buy a bicycle. Our GOVERNMENT built many new tracks for cyclists RECENTLY.


Let’s RIDE bicycles together.


Anatoly

Task: Write a letter to a bank requesting a loan. Be sure to include your purpose of the loan and your ability to repay it.


Dear sir,
I’d like to suggest your bank to participate in A project which could be interesting from A financial point of view. The idea is to organize a new online school for teaching foreign languages. I AM ASKING your bank about a loan for setting THIS business up.


These are some advantages of THIS project:
1. It doesn’t need A LOT OF money. We can use THE free feature of Google services there, I mean Google plus hangouts.
2. It could be a very attractive idea for many people who are involved in the process of globalization, who work (or want to work) in foreign companies.


Here are some possible problems which we need to solve:
1. We need to make a large advertisING CAMPAIGN.
2. We need to hire a few good teachers.


It is a short description OF why I need a loan.
If you are interested in THIS offer, please let me know.


Anatoly

Director of LTD “Anatoly and company”





No comments:

Post a Comment