Monday, February 10, 2014

English Tea With Lemon! -- ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION---

10/02/2014
English Tea With Lemon!
-- ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION---

















Soft Embers @ VIRTLANTIS (Knowingly)Teleport Link (SLurl): http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Knowingly/30/198/22Activity Organizer(s): Alalina Resident
                      
   A recent medical survey in Britain revealed that 25 % of the population saw no hope for the future and one in ten felt that life was not worth living. Many teenagers were excessively worried about their weight and general appearance. Approximately 25% claimed they suffer from anxiety over their studies.
   
1. Are you surprised by these statistics?
2. Are you basically happy with your life?
3. When is the happiest you have ever been?
4. What is happiness?


Reading
Read through the article and answer this question - What exactly is this man's problem?


When I was married I thought I was miserable because of my wife. So, we got divorced, and then I thought things would change. But I was still depressed somehow. Friends used to invite me out, and though I had nothing else going on, l'd tell them that I was busy or that I had other plans, but l,d just stay at home and watch TV or vegetate. So, then I blamed it on my job. I used to fantasise about just leaving the place.


I started taking days off sick. My performance went downhill. But I couldn't quit. I was scared. I would wake up in the middle of the night, just lying there - thinking. Then a job opportunity came up at a different company, and for a few months I actually thought I was getting better. But then it came back- with a vengeance. I started crying - literally crying - for no reason at all, sometimes in the middle of the day. I started calling myself names like "stupid" and 'incompetent'.


I shut my friends out and I became generally useless. Sometimes I would go out to do a bit of shopping and I would see happy couples walking around - some of them with children - and then I would feel even worse. And so I thought, "That's it! l'm lonely. I need a girlfriend." And so I got on the internet to try and meet people. And I
did. And for a few weeks I actually thought I was getting better. But it got worse. I started thinking about old age and death. And pretty soon the things that used to make me happy, things like nice weather and a call from a friend, started to seem more like irritations. Life began feeling pretty pointless. I think I was on the verge of giving up on it all when I met Judy. The advice Judy gave me changed my life for the better, and probably forever. I can't believe the difference it has made.


1. What seemed to be the man's problem?
2. What aspects of the man's life did this problem affect?
3. Have you or anyone you know ever felt like him?
4. Who is Judy and what do you think she said to him?
5.'What advice would you have given him?


Language
Complete the sentences below with these words
low         down     usual       take    under      
hard      top        weather
l. Things are just getting me down
2. He's not his usual self at all.
3. I'm feeling a bit under the . .weather
4. I'm feeling a bit low at the moment.
5. Things are getting on top  of me.
6. I'm finding life hard at the moment.
7. I'm under a lot of pressure.
8. I'm not sure I can take much more.


Reading
Read these ten tips on how to be happy. Which do you think are genuinely helpful?


HAPPY HABITS
Ten proven ways to increase your happiness.
Most people are unhappy because they choose to be. All they have to do is change their minds and learn some new habits and their lives will change for ever. Here are ten habits of happy people. Try them and experience the results for yourself.


- Act happy - even if you don't feel it. A smiling face will get more smiles from others.
- Enjoy the moment. Happiness is not produced by great things happening, but by recognising all the little positive things that happen every day.
- Take control of your time. Happy people feel in control of their lives. Set yourself realistic goals for the day.
- Take regular exercise. Get your body producing those depression-busting chemicals.
- Get rest. We all need time on our own and enough sleep - make time to re-charge your batteries.
-  Sing. People who sing are happier. lt's the people who have to listen to them who are unhappy. Be a singer.
Get a pet. Stroking a cat or patting a dog has therapeutic effects, calming anxiety.


-Feed your soul. Studies show that actively religious people are happier. They cope better with crises and are part of a supportive, accepting community.
. Prioritise close relationships. Spending time in open communication with loved ones stops isolation and independence.
. Get out of town. Spend a few hours a week in the countryside. Smell the fresh air, touch the flowers and hug a tree.


1. Is this serious advice or just light-hearted?
2. Do you agree that to be happy you just need to 'change your mind'?
3. Couldthe tips above help someone who is seriously depressed? Are any unhelpful?
4. Have you ever had to help a friend who was depressed?



No comments:

Post a Comment