Friday, February 3, 2017

I gotta feeling

Exploring foreign language analyzing lyrics of the songs is a good and funny way of studying, which helps learners to feel rhythm, pronunciation, slang, cultural traditions of language.

"I got a feeling" - this is a phrase of proper English, but what is a meaning of the phrase "I gotta feeling" in the lyrics of the song from 
the band "Black Eyed Peas"? Let's make a lyrics analysis.




I gotta feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night (gotta = got to) (tonight's = tonight is) (gonna = going to)

That tonight's gonna be a good night
That tonight's gonna be a good, good night
Tonight's the night, let's live it up (Let's live it up = to live life to the fullest)
I got my money, let's spend it up (it is just a phrase: live it up - spend it up)
Go out and smash it like oh my God (smash it = squeeze it)
Jump off that sofa, let's get, get off (get Off = to get away from; get off the train or bus)

I know that we'll have a ball (to have a ball = to enjoy yourself)
If we get down and go out and just lose it all (just loose it all = to lose one's mind - behave crazy)
I feel stressed out, I wanna let it go (feel stressed out = to be under tension) (I wanna let it go = = let out my feeling of being stressed = to escape from this feeling)
Let's go way out spaced out and losing all control (spaced out = enough of space)

Fill up my cup, Mazel Tov
Look at her dancing, just take it off (just take it off = take out your stress)
Let's paint the town, we'll shut it down (paint the town = figurative expression of imagining the town) (shut it down = it could be to switch off, to stop but here for the town)
Let's burn the roof, and then we'll do it again

Tonight's the night (Hey! )
Let's live it up (Let's live it up)
I got my money (My pay)
Let's spend it up (Let's spend it up)

Go out and smash it (Smash it)
Like oh my God (Like oh my God)
Jump off that sofa (Come on!)
Let's get, get off

Fill up my cup (Drink)
Mazel Tov (L'chaim)
Look at her dancing (Move it, move it)
Just take it off

Let's paint the town (Paint the town)
We'll shut it down (Let's shut it down)
Let's burn the roof
And then we'll do it again

Here we come, here we go, we gotta rock (Rock rock rock rock rock) (Here we go = to begin something) (to rock = to move)
Easy come, easy go, now we on top (Top top top top top) (easy come = feel easy)
Feel the shot, body rock, rock it, don't stop (Stop stop stop stop stop) (feel the shot = to drink) (rock = the style of music) (rock your body = move your body and dance)
Round and round, up and down, around the clock (Rock rock rock rock rock) (around the clock = all the time)

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
Friday, Saturday, Saturday to Sunday
Get, get, get, get, get with us, you know what we say, say
Party every day, p-p-p-party every day


The lyrics explain how after being stressed out there is a need to kick back (kick back = N.American be at leisure, relax) and simply to have a good time. Dealing with the daily monotonous drone (drone = informal - a monotonous speech or a low continuous humming sound) routine of life, it is necessary to break it up (break up = disintegrate, disperse) a little bit and enjoy yourselves.


This is a video:



The Black Eyed Peas is an American group. Their first major hit was the 2003 single "Where Is the Love?" I wrote analisis this song on my blog.


This analysis was written during the class with teacher Pearl in inline English school albert-learning.com

No comments:

Post a Comment