Thursday, March 14, 2013

Bad news






We practiced informing people about bad news in a letter in Kori’s class and this is my story:

Dear Kori!
I hope you are having a good time on your trip. I'm writing to you from your house where you asked me to take care of your parrot and cat.
You know that your cat is doing very well but your parrot .... Well that's another story.
I regret to inform you that your parrot has passed away. I left him in one room. The parrot was flying in his cage while the cat was staring suspiciously up at him while he was sitting uncomfortably near his cage. I didn't think much of it at the time but when I found the parrot's dead body, I realised what must have happened and that there was nothing I could do. I apologise for this terrible news.
Kind regards,
Anatoly

We also studied some expressions which could help to break bad news in the appropriate expressions (Break the news gently)..

I'm sorry to have to tell you....
I hate to be the one to tell you that....
My hands are/were tied
there was nothing I could do
I regret to inform you that....
I'd give anything to be able to change the situation.
I'm afraid that
Sit down for a minute, I think we need to talk

Good luck !!!

Anatoly Lyric

No comments:

Post a Comment