✈️ English in Transit

based on The Terminal (2026) · navigating language, culture & identity
🎙️ In-character practice · Viktor at the airport café
Viktor (AI): “This food. I hungry. Please give bread.”
Anatoly (café worker): “Do you want bread? Anything else?”
Viktor: “Water. Please, water. Thank you.”
Viktor (later): “I want this. I pay. How much?”
Anatoly: “It costs $10.”
Viktor: “10 is a lot? … I not have 10. I have this.”
🧠 Focus: basic survival English, missing modals/articles, and the emotional weight of limited language.

🌍 Thematic blocks culture · bureaucracy · resilience

  • 🏛️ Bureaucratic maze – passport invalidation, “falling through the cracks”
  • 🗣️ Language acquisition – media immersion, real-world practice, high-stakes motivation
  • ❤️ Emotional barriers – trust, isolation, and connection across cultures
  • 🧳 Identity & promise – the peanut can, family legacy, and anchoring

📚 Advanced vocabulary & idioms from the lesson

in a nutshell
briefly and clearly; summarizing the essence.
catch and release
letting someone go (or escape) only to catch them again later; a strategy.
fall through the cracks
to be overlooked or missed by a system, often with negative consequences.
nut job
an irrational or crazy person (used humorously or self-deprecatingly).
root for the home team
to support what is familiar, even if it’s self‑destructive; habitual loyalty.
break it off
to end a relationship or engagement abruptly.
sensible shoes
practical, comfortable footwear; metaphor for choosing support over glamour.
a bite to eat
a small, informal meal or snack.
Plus: “in a nutshell”, “catch and release”, “fall through the cracks”, “nut job”, “break it off” – all used in context.

🔍 Communication barriers language · trust · organizational

Viktor’s journey: from a few words to fluent conversation through TV, comparison reading, and authentic interaction. The lesson highlights how media immersion and real‑world application accelerate learning.

🧩 missing modal: “I can help you”“Can I help you?” 🧩 missing article: “I go to bathroom”“I’m going to the bathroom” 🧩 future tense: “I go to New York”“I will go to New York”

📌 Summary — Part 1: Viktor Navorski, a traveler from Krakozia, becomes stranded at JFK airport after a military coup invalidates his passport. With minimal English, he survives by learning the language through television, observation, and daily interactions with terminal staff. His journey is both linguistic and emotional: he builds friendships, earns trust, and keeps a mysterious promise to his father inside a peanut can. The lesson uses his story to explore language acquisition in isolation, cultural adaptation, and the hidden costs of bureaucracy.

📌 Summary — Part 2: The class dissects key scenes through idioms and phrasal verbs – from “in a nutshell” to “fall through the cracks” – and examines how Victor’s persistence transforms him from a helpless outsider into a resourceful, beloved figure. Students analyze trust barriers, emotional baggage, and the symbolic weight of “sensible shoes” versus glamorous illusions. Ultimately, the lesson invites reflection on how we all navigate unfamiliar systems, and how small acts of kindness bridge cultural divides.


🎬 The Terminal (2026) · lesson by Paulina 🧾 PDF resource available above