Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Discussion about English Grammar

Here are some mistakes which were made in the test for English Grammar. This is what we discussed with an English native speaker. The text which is crossed out is how it was answered initially. The text in bold is the right answer according to the creator of the test.  The text in brackets shows the comments during the discussion). 


I normally live in London but this year ___________ in Tallinn.

I live

I'm living (Because it’s a continuous action. For example I live in Moscow but: Now I’m living in Moscow.)

I do live

I would have

 

Your leg looks bad – you_________see a doctor.

have

should go (it is more appropriate in spoken English)

going

ought to (it is also possible to use but it is more formal)



They asked her who_____________.

is she

she is 

was she

she was (Because the action is in the past, the description of the action needs to be in the past)


I wish I____________a dog when I was young.

had

have had

had had (This is an unreal situation and it is completed in the past. But some English speakers think that the phrase “had had” sounds not natural).

have



No comments:

Post a Comment